Pages

Thursday 17 March 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole

Happy St. Patrick's Day! In honour of this annual event, I will be providing you with a traditional, Irish...

Who am I kidding? Here is a sweet potato casserole.


Any excuse to eat more maple syrup. Serves 1. Inspired by Oh She Glows.

Ingredients:
Base
{1 large} sweet potato
{1/2 tbsp} vegan butter (I used Pure Spread)
{1/4 tsp} vanilla extract
{1 and 1/2 tbsp} pure maple syrup
{1/8 tsp} sea salt
{1/4 tsp} ground nutmeg
{1/4 tsp} cinnamon

Topping
{1/8 cup} vegan butter
{1/4 cup} brown sugar
{1/8 cup} white flour
{1/4 cup} pecan nuts

Method:
Preheat oven to 170C. Lightly grease very small baking dish. Then, peel and chop up the sweet potato into small chunks. Boil in a saucepan,with a pinch of salt, until tender. Drain and mash the soft sweet potato with the base vegan butter. Add the vanilla extract, maple syrup, sea salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour base mixture into baking dish.

In a mixing bowl, stir the topping ingredients together until well combined. Slightly break up the pecan nuts with the spoon. Smooth topping over base and decorate with whole pecan nuts. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until topping is crisp and brown. Shut off the heat, but leave the casserole in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes. Make sure it doesn't burn.

Slow Cooking

My new baby...


And ain't she pretty?

After I bulk bought dried grain/lentils/pulses, I decided that a crock pot was the only way I would be able to cope.

So I soaked my chickpeas overnight, and put them on HIGH heat at 12:45pm. It's now 08:00pm, and they are taking their sweet, sweet time.


But optimism is the way forward! Soon I hope to be eating my very own crock pot houmous.

No comments:

Post a Comment