Pages

Sunday 13 March 2011

Red Lentil and Black Bean Leftover Salad

Hello. I'm here to report a catastrophe. During today's beautiful lunch salad, I managed to break my daisy salad bowl. Clumsy fingers. I'm infamous for crockery casualties. You name it, I've broken it. I have to keep slinking into charity shops to top up my cooking equipment. In my house, I am a legendary figure that inauspiciously appears in the kitchen area and makes plates and bowls disappear! Or...well...BREAK INTO A THOUSAND PIECES.

Here is my oh-so-lovely daisy bowl, minutes before the tragedy.


Oh, I can barely look!


In daisy-bowl's memory, I will write you the recipe for her very last salad.

Seeing as it's the end of the week, I was thinking how best to use up the leftovers in the fridge. And this is what I came up with:

(All quantities are approximate because I forgot to measure)

{1 cup} red split lentils, cooked and cool
{1 cup} black beans (tinned), drained and rinsed
{1/4} sweet red onion, roughly chopped
{1/4 cup} dried cranberries, plus more for decoration
{1/4 cup} dried raisins, plus more for decoration
{A couple of sprigs} fresh coriander, roughly chopped
{1 tbsp} red wine vinegar
{1 tbsp} grapeseed oil
{1/8 tsp} sea salt
Rocket and salad leaves

...I think that was it.

In a bowl, pour boiling water over the cranberries and raisins and leave to soak for a few minutes to soften them up. Meanwhile, chuck together the lentils, beans, onion, salad leaves, rocket, and coriander. Mix them all up! Drain off the cranberries and raisins, and add them with everything else. Pour over the red wine vinegar, grapeseed oil, and salt. Stir-stir-stir. Throw in a few more cranberries and raisins...because it looks pretty. Et voila! Simple.


R.I.P. Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment